American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Ohio National Road Association Annual Meeting

DennyG

I attended my first Ohio National Road Association meeting last night. In the past, even the annual meeting was held during the day which made attending a bit of a challenge. With it scheduled for 6:00 PM, I was able to get there by slipping past the boss just a little early. Having the meeting in the nicely restored 1895 Toledo & Ohio Central passenger terminal was a real bonus.

The association had earlier won a $160000 Scenic Byways grant but had to raise $32000 in matching funds to get it. Last night it was announced that the goal had been met. That money will pay for placing about 30 new interpretative signs along the road next year. Among them are gateway sign at the Indiana and West Virginia borders for you "foreigners" to read when you come visiting.

Other good news was that a revision of the wonderful and wonderfully successful Ohio NR guide is nearing completion. It should be available by spring and possibly even earlier.

There was also talk of making a couple of day long bus tours available next year but nothing is firm just yet. If they happen, there will be one tour in the spring and another in the fall with one covering the road east of Columbus and the other covering the road to the west. Doug Smith, co-writer of the Ohio NR guide would be the on-board guide for the tours.