American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Lincoln Highway Sing-a Long

OK, who knows the theme song for the 1940’s Lincoln Highway radio program? What, you say you didn’t know there was a Lincoln Highway radio show….Here is the theme song…..

Click on the url.

Lincoln Highway theme song: http://www.pair.com/davepaul/americanroad/ARLH1942.mp3

Hats off to archive.org and the Old Time Radio Researchers Group for providing the original complete program files!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Yep, I've heard that song and even heard at least one of the programs. The tune can be heard at some of the kiosks that line the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor's "Roadside Museum" and lyrics can be found in the Winter 2007 installment of Thinkin' Lincoln which featured the program. And that gives me all the excuse I need to tell of my own and American Road Magazine's missed-it-by-that-much connection with Rick Sebak's "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway".

When I stayed at the Lincoln Motor Court in July, I spoke with Bob Altizer about doing a Memory Motel piece on the cabins and I gave him an issue of the magazine to show what I was talking about. About an hour later, Bob came by my cabin with a big grin. By chance, that issue was the one with the radio show article and Bob told me of a fellow whose stop there, just a few weeks before, had been inspired by that nearly seventy year old program. He had listened to the show as a boy and, now in his eighties, wanted to have his own "adventures". He was realistic about those adventures and didn't plan on anything too wild but did ask for a cabin near the road where, with windows open, he could hear cars pass on the Lincoln Highway as he slept. Before then, Bob had never heard of the radio program so reading about it in American Road was a real kick for him. Bob tells of this in one of the items that ended up on Rick's cutting room floor. Now, when you watch "Bob Altizer, Mann's Choice" and hear him mention "a guy from a travel magazine", you'll know the names of both guy and mag. :D

Yep, I've heard that song and even heard at least one of the programs. The tune can be heard at some of the kiosks that line the Lincoln Highway Heritage Corridor's "Roadside Museum" and lyrics can be found in the Winter 2007 installment of Thinkin' Lincoln which featured the program. And that gives me all the excuse I need to tell of my own and American Road Magazine's missed-it-by-that-much connection with Rick Sebak's "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway".

When I stayed at the Lincoln Motor Court in July, I spoke with Bob Altizer about doing a Memory Motel piece on the cabins and I gave him an issue of the magazine to show what I was talking about. About an hour later, Bob came by my cabin with a big grin. By chance, that issue was the one with the radio show article and Bob told me of a fellow whose stop there, just a few weeks before, had been inspired by that nearly seventy year old program. He had listened to the show as a boy and, now in his eighties, wanted to have his own "adventures". He was realistic about those adventures and didn't plan on anything too wild but did ask for a cabin near the road where, with windows open, he could hear cars pass on the Lincoln Highway as he slept. Before then, Bob had never heard of the radio program so reading about it in American Road was a real kick for him. Bob tells of this in one of the items that ended up on Rick's cutting room floor. Now, when you watch "Bob Altizer, Mann's Choice" and hear him mention "a guy from a travel magazine", you'll know the names of both guy and mag. :D

Denny,

Now that is one great story. I'm glad I stumbled across the old program if it prompted you to recall that experience!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Denny, more important than any of this is......did you get the Memory Motel!? :D

Yes I did. Unlike the RCMP, I can't claim to "always get my motel" and we all know I don't always have my memory but I did get a Memory Motel article out of that stop. Grey skies didn't help with the photos but I did get some. The weather was even less cooperative on my second stay -- almost constant rain -- in September.