American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Yt Street Closure In Chicago

Apparently our new President-elect's Chicago, IL house is along (or very near to, as I don't offhand know its exact address) the Yellowstone Trail and as a result, a several blocks long section of its routing on Hyde Park BD just north of the Museum of Science and Industry is now *CLOSED* until further notice. Those wishing to follow the YT through the city are advised to use Lake Shore Drive and Pershing Rd/Oakwood BD or 47 St to avoid the area.

'Tis a shame, too, as Drexel and Hyde Park Boulevards in the Hyde Park-Kenwood area is a *SWEET* urban drive!

Mike

Edited by Wisguy

Mike:

That is a great observation. How did you learn about the house? Driving the Trail again?

I had to search around the Internet, my Delorme computer map, and Google Earth to find the address. Did it: 5046 South Greenwood Ave, Chicago, IL. It is one vacant lot from E. Hyde Park Blvd, the Yellowstone Trail. I assume that Greenwood is closed too? Coordinates: 41.802750,-87.599533. A picture and controversy is at http://www.zillowblog.com/barack-obamas-ch...-house/2008/09/ Another http://sedulia.blogs.com/photos/everywhere...amas_house.html

We will have to send Obama some info about the YT and a request that he get the National Park Service to study and promote it like they did the Lincoln Highway.

John Ridge

Yellowstone Trail Association

Apparently our new President-elect's Chicago, IL house is along (or very near to, as I don't offhand know its exact address) the Yellowstone Trail and as a result, a several blocks long section of its routing on Hyde Park BD just north of the Museum of Science and Industry is now *CLOSED* until further notice. Those wishing to follow the YT through the city are advised to use Lake Shore Drive and Pershing Rd/Oakwood BD or 47 St to avoid the area.

'Tis a shame, too, as Drexel and Hyde Park Boulevards in the Hyde Park-Kenwood area is a *SWEET* urban drive!

Mike

Mike:

That is a great observation. How did you learn about the house? Driving the Trail again?

I had to search around the Internet, my Delorme computer map, and Google Earth to find the address. Did it: 5046 South Greenwood Ave, Chicago, IL. It is one vacant lot from E. Hyde Park Blvd, the Yellowstone Trail. I assume that Greenwood is closed too? Coordinates: 41.802750,-87.599533. A picture and controversy is at http://www.zillowblog.com/barack-obamas-ch...-house/2008/09/ Another http://sedulia.blogs.com/photos/everywhere...amas_house.html

We will have to send Obama some info about the YT and a request that he get the National Park Service to study and promote it like they did the Lincoln Highway.

John Ridge

Yellowstone Trail Association

I heard about that closure Monday evening (2008-11-10) while listening to WBBM radio (780AM) out of Chicago and then followed it up with a look-see at an article in the Chicago Tribune.

According to the Tribune, the lockdown covers an area running three blocks east-west and two blocks north-south. With your information, it looks like its epicenter is at Hyde Park BD and Greenwood Ave and I assume that it covers the area surrounded by Ellis Ave on the west, 50th St on the north, Woodland Ave on the east and 52nd St on the south. There is a synagogue across the street to the east of that address.

I have driven that section of the YT several times, most recently in mid-late Summer, 2007. I have a photographic memory and can 'run a tape' of that entire street in my mind.

We shall see how things play out with this one.

Mike

I must admit to some serious ignorance about the actual routing of the YT but your links & online map do make the Obama-YT connection clear. Is the trail signed in that area? As Mike said, "'tis a shame" that it's (temporarily?) closed off but there has to be a way to use this to get some attention. Though he's probably a bit too busy just now, you could assure Barack that the area's Trailman position could be waiting for him when he wraps up that other job.

I must admit to some serious ignorance about the actual routing of the YT but your links & online map do make the Obama-YT connection clear. Is the trail signed in that area? As Mike said, "'tis a shame" that it's (temporarily?) closed off but there has to be a way to use this to get some attention. Though he's probably a bit too busy just now, you could assure Barack that the area's Trailman position could be waiting for him when he wraps up that other job.

Unfortunately, unlike the *EXCELLENT* markings that both the Lincoln Highway and 'Historic' US 66 enjoy in Illinois, I am aware of *NO* Yellowstone Trail signs in the state.

If you have ever followed the YT just through the City of Chicago, you'd agree that it is a true *GEM* of a drive (Hyde Park area, Michigan Ave through downtown, the Gold Coast, THROUGH Lincoln Park, two blocks from Wrigley Field, etc) and I see no reason why the City itself would not be interested in it.

Mike

Edited by Wisguy

Unfortunately, unlike the *EXCELLENT* markings that both the Lincoln Highway and 'Historic' US 66 enjoy in Illinois, I am aware of *NO* Yellowstone Trail signs in the state.

If you have ever followed the YT just through the City of Chicago, you'd agree that it is a true *GEM* of a drive (Hyde Park area, Michigan Ave through downtown, the Gold Coast, THROUGH Lincoln Park, two blocks from Wrigley Field, etc) and I see no reason why the City itself would not be interested in it.

Mike

How close is it to route 20? If there are no signs about yellowstone trail then maybe you could emphasis route 20 since both connect each other in many parts also.

How close is it to route 20? If there are no signs about yellowstone trail then maybe you could emphasis route 20 since both connect each other in many parts also.

Well, the east-west part of Hyde Park BD is 51st St elsewhere in the city and US 20 uses 95th St to cross the city, so they are not that far apart.

The farthest west that the YT and US 20 meet is at 95th and Ewing on Chicago's far southeast side.

Mike

Well, the east-west part of Hyde Park BD is 51st St elsewhere in the city and US 20 uses 95th St to cross the city, so they are not that far apart.

The farthest west that the YT and US 20 meet is at 95th and Ewing on Chicago's far southeast side.

Mike

I worked with John Ridge as a trailman a few years back trying to promote yellowstone trail here in New York unfortunately someone stole the scenic byway and named it the Revolutionary trail which it also is in parts as well as route 20. I have always wanted to partnership with others to promote us route 20 we did get a scenic byway designation for 125 mile stretch from Duanesburg NY to Layfette NY. I was vice-president of the NYS route 20 association for several years. If anyone would be interested in forming a us route 20 association please contact me at rrheingo@nycap.rr.com maybe we can call it yellowstone trail/ us route 20 or something that can combine it to make it a stronger force. Rich Rheingold