American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Woodward, Repps, Nascar, & The Great Darke County Fair

DennyG

There ought to be something in that title for just about everybody.

Woodward

On Friday evening I drove to Detroit to attend the Twelfth Annual Woodward Dream Cruise. It was a bit moist but it's too big an event to let a little rain interfere in any significant way. Some pictures at My First WDC.

Repps

Since American Road's World Headquarters are nearby, I though there might be some folks from the magazine at the Cruise. I checked into this with a note to Becky Repp and learned that there just wasn't room in the schedule to attend the WDC but maybe we could get together somewhere a little closer to their neighborhood. The result was that, after a day on Woodward, I hooked up with Thomas & Becky Repp for dinner, roadie chatter, and an all around good time. The mag's in good hands.

NASCAR

OK, so I don't really follow NASCAR and, until yesterday, didn't even know where Michigan International Speedway was. My motel was on US-24 and, anticipating a more leisurely drive home than my Friday night dash, US-24->US-12->US-127 looked like a good route. As I progressed along Twelve, I did see a few "Welcome Race Fans" signs and noticed that a couple of waitresses where I ate breakfast were wearing Dale Jr. shirts. It finally came together about five miles from the track; Which I now learned is right on US-12. There were a some warning signs and then the two lane road was divided into thirds by orange cones. Two lanes headed to the track and one away. Half of each outer lane used the paved shoulder and the middle lane (My lane!) was centered on the double yellow line. It was strange but I did get another two or so miles of progress before traffic came to a sudden crawl. The line eventually inched to a point where a side road beckoned and I turned south to make my way to US-127 on back (including gravel) roads.

The Great Darke County Fair

One of the attractions of US-127 was that it passes right by (used to go right through) Greenville, Ohio, where The Great Darke County Fair had opened on Friday. That's my home county and I managed a visit with my parents, watched some sheep, rabbit, & horse judging, and treated myself to a Sno-Cone, a Lemon-Shakeup, and an apple dumpling complete with home made (freezer turned by an antique gas engine) ice cream.

Michelob is OK, but I'm pretty sure this is what weekends were really made for.

NASCAR

It finally came together about five miles from the track; Which I now learned is right on US-12. There were a some warning signs and then the two lane road was divided into thirds by orange cones. Two lanes headed to the track and one away.

Sounds like a great trip, Denny (other than the above-quoted traffic jam).

Certainly if anyone were tracing the Dixie Highway through Indianapolis, I would suggest they not do it on the day of the Indy 500, the Brickyard 400 or the US Grand Prix...just three small events that take place near our house...traffic here gets snarled up too!

We enjoyed our visit with you, too, Denny! :D

We were glad you were able to attend the Cruise and get good pics- as this year the event landed right in the middle of crunch time for getting the next issue out (which will be mailing in September).

Sounds like you had an interesting trip home.

Becky