American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Spotted On My Way To Work

mobilene

What's it for - birds, maybe, or deer, foxes, other wild critters???????? :D A better question might be where went the road that the stop sign is/was on?? It looks like a torn up road bed over to the right by the No Turning (think that's what it is) sign.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

It's a brand new road, opened just this year. Here's Google Maps' view of it. Turn off labels and watch the road labeled Illinois St. disappear.

Maybe the stop sign is there to check suburban sprawl!

Jim,

I don’t see the problem!

The sign is there for anyone who backs up into the grass. Before you pull forward you are to make a full boulevard stop. They probably have a police cruiser in the bushes waiting to tag violators! :rolleyes:

Do you see this often in Indiana? :)B)

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

Dave,

Yes, of course -- they're just trying to cover any eventuality! Why didn't I think of that? (smacks forehead)

jim

Jim,

You are probably the source of the problem! :P They have spotted a red car driving in strange places, on overgrown old right of ways, etc. Not wanting to endanger you or others they are putting up stop signs. I think they call them "Jimster stops."

BTW, your link to Google Maps made me look closer at them for making auto trail maps. Google Earth doesn't scale well for what I envision, but Google Maps may. I'm going to take a closer look now.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave