American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Well-loved Diners In Danger Of Closing

AmandaSealy

Hello, everyone!

I work for a British tv company, and we are making a series on American food with chef Jamie Oliver. Check out our website to see what we've been up to, www.jamieoliver.com

Right now, we are producing a show about independent diners with fantastic food, all across the US. We'd like to find a diner that is very popular, important to the local people in the community, which would be a great loss if it closed - but it's up for sale or about to close down for various reasons. (I know real estate has been going up, and diner owners can sell their land for more cash than they can make in the restaurant - we can't get involved with those).

If you know of any diners that are for sale, anywhere in mainland USA - due to retirement, falling trade, the current economic crisis - please let me know asap.

Thanks!

Amanda Sealy in London

When I first saw this post I imagined that a long list of troubled diners would soon follow. That obviously hasn't happened and I'm no help. I can think of some, such as Grubbs in Pennsylvania, that were in trouble but are already gone. It's not clear whether you are offering direct assistance or only publicity but I have to believe that there are endangered diners that could benefit from either.

Folks, if you know of any place that fits the description, speaking up quickly is recommended.

My last post in http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...p?showtopic=239 shows photos of Saylor's in Allentown PA. It is still in the same condition, and has not yet sold. Most rumors have it being torn down for another unwanted strip mall.

Folks, if you know of any place that fits the description, speaking up quickly is recommended.

What about The Diner on US-40 between Plainfield and Indianapolis, Indiana? That thread talked about how it is in danger of new development... it actually closed but is now being operated on an interim basis by the former cook. I haven't heard any new news in the last few months, but I assume the facts are still the same.

Chris

One spot in Olympia, Washington comes to mind. It is at the north end of the famed old totem pole bridge on old US 99, right beside the old Olympia Brewery, and near the Tumwater Falls where the first American settlement on Puget Sound occurred (lots of side stories!). I think it is up for sale or redevelopment. It was once a fried chicken diner and now is the South Pacific.

I have only eaten there once and it may already be history, but it was still open a few weeks ago when I took the photo below. If there is an interest, let me know (soon!!!) and I will scout it out.

SP.jpg

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

• 6 months later...
My last post in http://americanroadmagazine.com/forum/inde...p?showtopic=239 shows photos of Saylor's in Allentown PA. It is still in the same condition, and has not yet sold. Most rumors have it being torn down for another unwanted strip mall.

In the last few days, a "leased" sign has been pasted over the sign advertising a 'new retail opportunity', and the Morning Call newspaper reported in the "Retail Watch" column that it is to be renovated and reopened as a family restaurant. Hopefully some of the old character of the place remains in this new venture. I will keep watching. (PS: this restaurant in on Tilghman Street in Allentown, the earlier route for US Rt. 22 through the city---before I remember).