American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Gas Prices

roadmaven

A year ago you could have bought about ten gallons of gas with a share of GE stock and yesterday you could have bought, let's see, about ten gallons of gas with a share of GE stock.

I did some temp work for GE about 10 years ago and as I recall, a share of common stock was going for about $54 at the time. I think it closed yesterday around $19 and even at that price, it was an "up" day for the stock. There may have been a split in the last 10 years, however, of which I am unaware. Anyway, I noticed a local Shell yesterday which had a $2.49 price posted....Bliss

• 2 weeks later...

Heading out on the road in about a week and a half. Hope these prices remain low.

Here in Fox Lake, in northeastern Illinois,it has gotten down to $2.24 a gallon. What are prices in your areas now?

Heading out on the road in about a week and a half. Hope these prices remain low.

Here in Fox Lake, in northeastern Illinois,it has gotten down to $2.24 a gallon. What are prices in your areas now?

$1.72 at a Speedway in Speedway. B) Meanwhile, crude oil is down to $56/barrel today, and gasoline futures are at $1.26/gallon. :wavetowel2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just paid $1.33 per gallon.

The posted price was $2.03 but we had a number of 10 cents a gallon discount credits that we hadn't used.

In California if you have a Safeway Club Card they give you credits whenever you purchase a certain amount in the store. Apparently it had been a while since we gased up at a Safeway Gas Station.

17 Gallons for $23.

Roadhound

Just paid $1.33 per gallon.

The posted price was $2.03 but we had a number of 10 cents a gallon discount credits that we hadn't used.

In California if you have a Safeway Club Card they give you credits whenever you purchase a certain amount in the store. Apparently it had been a while since we gased up at a Safeway Gas Station.

17 Gallons for $23.

Roadhound

Congrats on the discount! Lowest price I've seen out here was $1.53 at a Murphy USA station. Definitely makes those trips A LOT easier on the wallet.

Wonderful - just wonderful. Gas is down to $1.50 to $1.75 a gallon (depending on where you are); prices in the stores (Wal Mart, Best Buy, etc) are going thru the floor; food prices have got to start coming down shortly) - and here I sit, near the end of the month, with a bank account that's about flat!!!!!!!!!!

All these great bargains. If they were selling steam boats over on Ole Missy for 25 cents a boat 'bout all I could do is run up and down the river bank yelling "AIN'T THAT CHEAP!!!!!" :D

Best advice I can give everybody is stop worrying - things WILL get better.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

All these great bargains. If they were selling steam boats over on Ole Missy for 25 cents a boat 'bout all I could do is run up and down the river bank yelling "AIN'T THAT CHEAP!!!!!" :D

A great line that just about says it all. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that a share of GE stock was worth about 10 gallons of gas just as it had been a year before. The truth is, we can't really afford a lot more $2 gas than we could $4 gas.

• 2 weeks later...

Gas is down to $1.36 on the south side of Indy today. I saw a report recently where crude oil may dip as low as $25/barrel and we *may* see gas below $1/gallon in the coming months. :happyguy:

This one even worse as it rained first. Hate when it does that.

Ah, fond memories of New England Winters past!!!!!!!!!! Sitting here in Memphis watching the rain come down, back and side yard (where I park my car - so I'm parked on the front lawn) flooded and I can smile. Because I know that (1) we ain't gonna have any snow with this and (2) all that water in the back and side yard will merrily flow out to the street and down the storm drain!!!! :D

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN

Edited by Alex Burr - hester_nec

• 2 months later...
We "have already crept!" Gas is at $2.21 and rising in Olympia.

Dave

Keep the Show on the Road

$2.27 this morning in San Ramon, CA. Plus, as part of California's ever growing budget problems it looks like they are going to add an additional 12 cents a gallon in taxes.

I predict we will be well above $2.50 a gallon by the time Memorial Day comes around.

Jack, jack, jack - oil companies found out how a jack works. Gas prices in Memphis running from a lo of $1.70 to a high of $1.95. And it will reach higher levels around Memorial Day - that's traditional. Has nothing to do with the supply tho - just ask the oil companies. They'll tell you they are switching from "winter" blend to "summer" blend, thus supplies are just a tad short at that time of year. Just coincidence it happens at the time when people are screaming to get out of their winter bound houses.

Ever hear of "area" pricing - this is a great example of it. The lower prices are to be found in less affluent (make that "poorer") neighborhoods; the higher prices in more affluent neighborhoods.

Of course if you want to drive your Beemer into the poorer neighborhood to get lower price gas (maybe because your 401K has gone south) you better bring back up and a couple Uzi's!!! Actually it isn't all that bad. You can go to mid-town, get a Kroger grocery store card and save a few pennies a gallon at their gas stations.

Hudsonly,

Alex Burr

Memphis, TN