American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

North American Roads

jwhiteley

I know thisis American Road Magazine -- any interest in some of the other roads in North America? I just came back from a beautiful trip to Newfoundland and Labrador. For road tourists, this might have some interest.

jwhteley,

I'm up for learning more about North American Roads! We have road traveled in Nova Scotia and enjoyed it, so please share your experiences!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

jwhteley,

I'm up for learning more about North American Roads! We have road traveled in Nova Scotia and enjoyed it, so please share your experiences!

Dave

Just a note to those who might not realize this - but, this past year we started adding articles including Canada in American Road magazine. The Spring issue includes the Old Forts Trail which crosses the US border and takes travelers into Canada. The Autumn issue includes an article about Route 666 beer (in Tunnel Vision) which is Canadian (The article also mentions Ontario's Craft Beer Route - a drive to sample micro-brews from 29 craft brewers. Just please don't drink and drive.).

:D

Just a note to those who might not realize this - but, this past year we started adding articles including Canada in American Road magazine.

I had noticed some Canadian content in the last few issues. Technically, Canada is in "America", just not in the United States of America... When the magazine was founded, was 'American' mean to imply USA? I assume so... it is difficult to think of roads in Brazil or other locations as 'American', although I guess they would be, too.

Chris

I had noticed some Canadian content in the last few issues. Technically, Canada is in "America", just not in the United States of America... When the magazine was founded, was 'American' mean to imply USA? I assume so... it is difficult to think of roads in Brazil or other locations as 'American', although I guess they would be, too.

Chris

Chris,

I wish I could top Jim’s reply!

Just as a matter of interest, back in the 30’s AAA heavily promoted international roads and road travel in the Americas. Several issues of their magazines were devoted to the topic.

I have surmised that the idea of driving to Mexico City, often on crude dirt roads in the 30’s, lost its appeal when airlines came into prominence. Since Becky has confirmed American Road has an international flair, maybe I should dig out an old article or two from the “early days.” :rolleyes:

Dave