American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

New Documentary Is Almost Here

The premier of "A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway" is just a week away. The PBS documentary that Rick Sebak has been working on for the last year or so is set to air nationwide next Wednesday and Friday. Wednesday's showing is scheduled for 8:00 ET and Friday's is set for 10:00 ET but, as the big guys say, check your local listings. Although I wasn't always up to the minute, I've followed Rick's blog and Brian Butko has offered some peeks at LincolnHighwayNews so I know a little of what's in store. I plan to start popping the corn about 7:45.

Oh no, the spotlight that night will be elsewhere! Not trying to bring in politics into this, just an observation on competing programming:

post-60-1224856340_thumb.png

Oh no, the spotlight that night will be elsewhere! Not trying to bring in politics into this, just an observation on competing programming:
Yeah. What were they thinking putting "Deal or No Deal" up against Rick? I hope the executives understand and don't fire Howie because of the drop in rankings.

Psshhhh. I don't have cable, so that means that the Lincoln Highway program will be the only thing on.
Are CBS & NBC available only on cable in Indianapolis?

As many of you know I have been fixated on the Lincoln Highway for the last 15 years or so,

and my obsessive-compulsive personality has led to the largest collection of Lincoln Highway

ephemera which I plan to donate to the University of Michigan, Special Collections Library.

Additionally, I became a Director of the Lincoln Highway Association, and am currently the

Vice-President.

http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

I wanted to let you know about a nationally syndicated PBS show that will air tomorrow, and

repeat on Friday on the Lincoln Highway. I hope you have a chance to view this show, as

it is an enjoyable and educational look at the Father Road. Well, they cut my footage, but

they did include a graphic of my 1920's Oakland - San Francisco Ferry ticket, and I am included

in the final credits. Most of the folks on the show are good friends of mine I have made all across

the country.

A Ride Along the Lincoln Highway, PBS, Wednesday, 10/29/2009 at 8:00 pm

http://www.wqed.org/tv/sebak/lincoln_hwy/

Please check for local listings - enjoy!

I just found out about this link that has some of my cut footage - Rules of the Road and

Green Chille Rant. Go to this page and click on my name.....

http://www.wqed.org/tv/sebak/lincoln_hwy/video.php

Please forward to anyone you think may enjoy this TV show - thanks.

yer pal,

Russell aka ypsi-slim

Russell S. Rein

OK, now that I've seen the documentary, I'm ready to explore! I've only done the LH in bits & peices, but I'm ready to have a major trip on it after watching PBS tonight! My question for you experienced Lincolners, is there any kind of guidebook out there that directs you on the entire route? I see there are various state books, and I'm not sure if all the states are covered. Just curious what the best sources are. Thanks!

OK, now that I've seen the documentary, I'm ready to explore!

I enjoyed the show tonight, also. I got my wife and two boys to watch with me and my wife kept repeating "can we save up and take a vacation on the Lincoln Highway next summer?" That's a good sign! The show was very well done--especially for keeping it under an hour.

My wife had been wanting to take a Route 66 trip, but I think the show tipped her interest toward the Lincoln Highway...

I may just have to buy that DVD.

Chris

OK, now that I've seen the documentary, I'm ready to explore! I've only done the LH in bits & peices, but I'm ready to have a major trip on it after watching PBS tonight! My question for you experienced Lincolners, is there any kind of guidebook out there that directs you on the entire route? I see there are various state books, and I'm not sure if all the states are covered. Just curious what the best sources are. Thanks!

I can personally recommend Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" as a good resource. It covers the route fully from east to west. I've also heard that he has a "traveler's companion" in the works that sounds like it was meant to be used while on the road.

Roadhound

I can personally recommend Brian Butko's "Greetings from the Lincoln Highway" as a good resource. It covers the route fully from east to west. I've also heard that he has a "traveler's companion" in the works that sounds like it was meant to be used while on the road.

Roadhound

Pat,

I think Roadhound is correct. Brian's book is excellent.

The progarm isn't on yet here (It is 7:20PM) but will be on at 8PM.

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I just answered something similar in another thread so it seems like I'm kind of repeating myself but that's OK. That's OK. I think Butko's "Greetings..." is as close to a driving guide as there is. Nothing exists for the LH that is equivalent to McClanahan's EZ66 for use on the fly but "Greetings..." will guide you along the full road. At least as far as I know. I've not been on the LH west of Fort Wayne. The LHA has a CD that covers the entire road via DeLorme Street Atlas but I know nothing about it beyond what the ad copy says.

Pat,

I am watching the program as I write this. Terrific job, and they included my favorite section in Utah and eastern Nevada.

You have Ypsi, Brian, Roadhound, and other Lincoln Highway pros right here of course. Maybe we should do a coast to coast trip next year as a forum "event."

Dave

Pat,

I am musing a bit about the Lincoln Highway PBS program, and your enthusiasm for taking a trip on it. My reaction is one of surprise and delight. Surprise that you seem to have “discovered” a new “interest,” and delight that you have.

I am not a fan of any one of our wonderful old roads, but if I were, the Lincoln would certainly be very near the top of the list. I am pretty confident that no other named road from the auto trail era has a long section as close to the original as does the Lincoln in western Utah and eastern Nevada.

The Lincoln hasn’t gotten the self conscious “attitude” of the Mother Road. When the fellow in the program (I think he was from Eureka or Austin, NV) says he thinks of the road as Highway 50, he reveals a lot. The Frontier Service Station I photographed and “documented” here in Nebraska is a pure gem….but very very few appreciate it. That may be good, because if it were on Route 66 it would be fully restored and selling souvenirs….and we couldn’t speculate on the “Mystery Pit.”

Part of this rather aimless discourse is that there are things on the Lincoln still to be “discovered.” Do you remember Roadhound’s barn? Not every inch has been described and reported. There is an old alignment in Wyoming that is seldom mentioned that I need to “rediscover” that I missed due to snow when I was “blazing” the Hypotenuse.

And for Then and Now guys….know anyone in that group?!....the collection of vintage Lincoln Highway photos at the University of Michigan on line provides a treasure beyond compare. No other road has such a wonderful set of historic images.

And because the Lincoln was a big deal, not a road cooked up by a few merchants around a pot belly stove (not to knock that either), it was well documented in its day. So anyone who wants to, can find great vintage material to enrich their journey. I mean, look at Ypsi!!

I muse about the Great American Road Lincoln Highway Relay next spring or summer…coast to coast…like the Pony Express…each party covers a section and passes the letter pouch off to the next one.

Or the Then and Now American Road Collaborative Internet Photo Fair. We take photos from the UofM collection (and post cards!!) and each attempt to match one or more wherever we travel the Lincoln.. I can see Roadhound posting a California set, and Rob, our man in Africa adding a few in January. Whenever we hit the Lincoln, we add a few…a real “discovery” fest!

Well…just musing…

Dave

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night. I think they did a great job on it, too bad they had to cut it down to an hour. It is great that it stirred up the conversation on it that much more. The use of personal stories was an interesting way of presenting it.

I've read of peoples inquiries and mention of Franzwa's book for maps and guides. I need to pursue the Association's map CD. After the show last night, my wife asked if anyone has done any GPS mapping of the route? I picture the purists out there wincing on that one. The old maps, guides and books are great to use, but as she mentioned, she is the one who always has her head buried in the pile of maps and related stuff that I pile into the truck while on the road, resulting in not being able to enjoy the scenery and look for the hidden gems. Turn by turn would be a nice feature once in a while. We covered most of the LH in Ohio last summer, the most heard quote (and eventually laughed at afterwards) was, "Where are we? I don't know, turn around." Followed by the ever present "I was supposed to turn back there, wasn't I?" I believe that gave us a taste of traveling in the old "Blue Book" days. I know that there was someone doing a GPS plot of the different alignments of Route 66. Thoughts?

Jason

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the show last night. I think they did a great job on it, too bad they had to cut it down to an hour. It is great that it stirred up the conversation on it that much more. The use of personal stories was an interesting way of presenting it.

I've read of peoples inquiries and mention of Franzwa's book for maps and guides. I need to pursue the Association's map CD. After the show last night, my wife asked if anyone has done any GPS mapping of the route? I picture the purists out there wincing on that one. The old maps, guides and books are great to use, but as she mentioned, she is the one who always has her head buried in the pile of maps and related stuff that I pile into the truck while on the road, resulting in not being able to enjoy the scenery and look for the hidden gems. Turn by turn would be a nice feature once in a while. We covered most of the LH in Ohio last summer, the most heard quote (and eventually laughed at afterwards) was, "Where are we? I don't know, turn around." Followed by the ever present "I was supposed to turn back there, wasn't I?" I believe that gave us a taste of traveling in the old "Blue Book" days. I know that there was someone doing a GPS plot of the different alignments of Route 66. Thoughts?

Jason

Jason and wife,

Terrific!! I’m a “purist,” and using GPS is no problem. It is a big plus. When I did the blazing of the Transcontinental Hypotenuse Trail in April (America’s longest Transcontinental auto trail!) , I had my trusty Delorme PN-20 on all the time. Then I geotagged all my photos automatically.

Now I can produce a minute by minute report (if I want to) of where I was, when. And I can tell you exactly how fast I was going when the Nebraska Highway Patrol pulled me over….Oh the joy!!

I also used the PN-20 and Delorme TOPO USA 7.0 to plan the trip and keep me on track, And I do know the “Opps, I should have turned there” routine.

I don’t have the Lincoln Highway Association CD, but I’m thinking if it works as a Delorme overlay, it already has the inherent means to produce a turn by turn GPS route and export it…..at least I think so.

If it does, and the LHA has beat us to the punch on that road, don’t despair. There is the Midland, the PPOO, the Bankhead, the Old Santa Fe, the Dixie(s), the Custer Battlefield, the Park to Park, and many more that are still “virgins” as far as modern turn by turn and digital maps go.

Need a hobby that might make you a buck? Chart the old roads on separate CDs and sell them at $25 to $50 each.. It would be easy to do with the software I’m familiar with. I might help with the necessary vintage maps and guides. I really think a fellow and his wife (like you) could have fun, do lots of folks who what a map of an old road in modern guise a favor, and maybe turn a buck.

Just musing….

Dave