American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Indiana State Road 42

mobilene

You can't quite call Indiana SR 42 an overlooked gem. It cuts awkwardly through a great deal of Indiana farmland, with frequent 90-degree turns frustrating even leisurely two-lane forward progress. But if you like bridges, you'll love SR 42, with two 1939 steel truss bridges and one drop-dead gorgeous cement arch span over a lake created by the US Army Corps of Engineers.

I chose to drive SR 42 yesterday because it's minor and obscure and, on a day when I wanted some quiet time, I should have it pretty much to myself; because I could easily explore it end to end in four or five hours; because after a summer of serious roadgeeking on the Michigan Road I wanted a fun drive; because it runs from southwest of Indianapolis to Terre Haute where I once lived; and because on its original route through Terre Haute stands one of my most favorite places on the planet. The road did not disappoint.

Explore State Road 42!

Good write-up on this one, Jim. And the bridge over Cagles Mill Lake is a work of art. I've only been on a short stretch of 42 in the past. We have some friends that live just a few miles west of Mooresville off 42, and that's been the extent of my adventures on it. It's short jaunts like this that inspire me to find a route like this which can be traveled and photographed in a day, while capturing some of the local treasures they have to offer. Time to check out some maps for the weekend....

I just finished your IN-42 write up and took a quick look at the Headstone Friends entry. Very nice job on IN-42. As you say, it's not the route for anyone on a tight schedule. US-40 has been my road of choice but it seems I'm often in a hurry westbound so drive I-70 more than I'd like. IN-42 certainly looks like a pleasant drive and I'll keep in in mind for a lazy day. Maybe I can stop by Headstone Friends and see how it compares to the real 1969. B)