American Road Magazine
Celebrating our two-lane highways of yesteryear…And the joys of driving them today!

Rock Climbing On Us 10

In 1948 when our family drove from Glendale, California to Spokane, Washington to visit family, Dad took two rolls of Kodacrome slides with his new Kodak 35mm camera, using his General Electric light meter. I wish he had taken a lot more pictures, because today I can match the sites fairly well, whether they are beside a famous Redwood Tree, watching fish climb the fish ladders at Bonneville Dam, or along the old highways.

Two of the photos were taken on the old US10, just to the east of Vantage, Washington. I have posted one of them here earlier.

I didn’t know this section of the old alignment had survived until about 5 yeas ago, when I decided to look for it on a trip across the state on I90. I was stunned to find a section of road that looked just as it did in 1948. Even the old two cable safety barrier with its mitered top posts were still there.

The alignment today provides access to some rock formations that are used by climbers, and to a boat launch ramp at the end of the road where it now disappears under Wanapum Lake. The old alignment dropped the westbound traveler down the edge of a steep cliff into the Columbia River canyon, then across the Vantage Bridge to Vantage and the Ginkgo Petrified Forest.

I posted earlier a late 1930’s post card of the old road, with rocks now used by climbers in the background. Working from memory, I attempted to “recreate the scene” yesterday. I should have climbed a bit higher on the hill…but hey, I’m getting older…but no matter because the match is evident. All the paint on the cable posts has weathered off, and there is a pull off that wasn’t there in the late 30’s, but it is the same place, and the old posts are the same posts.

ARVantageCard.jpg

ARVantageEllis.jpg

ARVantageLR.jpg

ARVantage.jpg

The rocks in the background of the photos are now used for rock climbing, no doubt contributing to the alignment still being open.

ARVantageRocks.jpg

More to come regarding this alignment!

Keep the Show on the Road!

Dave

I love the oil trail in the old photo. I read something about that once -- how uphills led to a little oil leakage on the old cars, which left a slick spot that got really, um, exciting in the rain.

I love seeing these then-and-now shots. I hope there are more to come!